Tonight my wife “Michelle” told me that we almost had a house fire. A week ago I noticed that the fan blades for the stand up rotating fan in our bedroom were moving slower than normal. I was concerned the motor could malfunction and cause a fire so I unplugged the fan. I left the fan in the corner but neglected to mention it to Michelle.
Today was a warm day in California and since we live in a two story house the bedrooms upstairs get hot as the heat rises, Michelle plugged in the fan to cool my daughters bed room and went downstairs. About 30 minutes later Michelle noticed a burning smell and went upstairs to investigate, she located the soure and you guessed it, it was the fan, the blades had stopped turning the motor was still running and smoke was bellowing form the back of the fan. Michelle unplugged the fan lucky for us after a minute or so the smoke stopped.
According to the United States Fire Administration, residential appliance fires annually result in an estimated 9,600 fires and $211 million in damage.
Below is a link to the US Fire Administration website. I hope you will take time today to prepare for the unexpected and protect your family from harm and financal loss.